Dr Shanel Sharma – Cataract, Retina, Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus in Sydney
BSc (Med), MBBS, FRANZCO, GAICD
Cataract Surgeon, Retinal Eye diseases, Botox for Eye Diseases, Paediatrics & Strabismus, and Glaucoma.
Dr Sharma was born and raised in Wollongong before moving to Sydney. After completing her schooling at Ascham, Dr Sharma undertook Medicine at The University of New South Wales. Shanel undertook her Ophthalmology specialty training at Prince of Wales Hospital / Sydney Children’s Hospital. She then held the prestigious Professorial Senior Registrar position at Sydney Eye Hospital in 2006. Shanel was awarded her Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmology (FRANZCO) in 2007. Dr Sharma undertook Postgraduate fellowships in Strabismus at The Western Eye Hospital in London, as well as a Paediatric and Strabismus Fellowship at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, the largest specialist Eye hospital in Europe. Dr Shanel was a locum Paediatric Ophthalmology Consultant at St Mary’s Hospital during her time in London. Dr Sharma also undertook medical retina clinics including performing intravitreal injections at Moorfields Eye Hospital. Dr Shanel Sharma has been a consultant at Sydney Eye Hospital and at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
Dr Sharma is trained and accredited to treat patients with Botulinum Toxin for ophthalmic conditions such as Strabismus, hemifacial spasm, and blepharospasm. Dr Sharma is also accredited as a Designated Aviation Ophthalmologist.
Dr Sharma has published over 20 scientific papers in peer-reviewed medical journals. She has been a Conjoint Lecturer at the University of New South Wales since 2003, and was appointed as a Conjoint Lecturer at the University of Sydney in 2006.
Dr Sharma is currently serving as part of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists Examining Committee for the Part 1 FRANZCO specialist exams.
Dr Shanel Sharma has presented at numerous scientific meetings in Australia and abroad, below are some of Dr Shanel’s publications:
4. Hancox J, Sharma S, McKenzie K, Adams GAW. The Effect on quality of life of long-term botulinum A toxin to maintain ocular alignment in adult patients with strabismus. British J Ophthal. 2012; 96(6) 838-40.
7. Ooi JL. Sharma NS. Sharma DP, Sharma S. Oakey M. Dawes P. Coroneo MT. Ultraviolet fluorescence photography to detect early sun damage in the eyes of school-aged children. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 141(2):294-8, 2006.
8. Sharma S, Wilcsek GA, Francis IC, Lee D, Coroneo MT, Harrison H, Wolf G, Stammberger H. Management of Acute Surgical Orbital Haemorrhage: An Otorhinolaryngological and Ophthalmological Perspective. J Laryngol Otol. 2000; 114:621-5.
14. Verhoeven J, Sharma S, Francis IC, Wilcsek GA, Coroneo MT, Ng DT, Chang L. Cloth Drape Fixation Using Transparent Adhesive Dressing for Facial Plastic Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104:882-3.
17. Francis IC, Wilcsek GA, Sharma S, Coroneo MT. Transcaruncular Medial Orbitotomy for stabilisation of the Posterior Limb of the Medial Canthal Tendon: Study of Eleven Cases. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2001; 29:85-9.
18. Micheli T, Cheung LM, Sharma S, Assad NN, Guzowski M, Francis IC, Coroneo MT. Acute Haptic-Induced pigmentary Glaucoma in an AcrySof SA60AT Lens: A Case for not Implanting in the Sulcus. Cataract & Refract Surg. 2002; 28: 1869 – 72.
24. Wilcsek GA, Francis IC, Egan CA, Kneale KL, Sharma S, Kappagoda MB Superior Oblique Palsy in a patient with a Previous History of Perineural Spread from a Periorbital Squamous Cell Carcinoma : A Case Report.. J Neuroophthal. 2000; 20(4):240-1.
25. Sharma DP, Francis IC, Stoodley M, Kaines A, Sharma S, Kalapesi FB, Wilcsek GA. Cavernous haemangioma in the orbital apex: stereotactic-guided transcranial cryoextraction. Clin exper ophthalmol. 2005; 33(4):421-3.
1. Wilcsek GA, Kazim M, Francis IC, Sharma S, Holck DEE. Acute orbital Haemorrhage: A Complication of Orbital Trauma and Surgery. In Evaluation and Treatment of Orbital Fractures: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Editor D.E.E Holck. W.B. Saunders. 2006.