Dr Shanel Sharma
BSc (Med), MBBS, FRANZCO
Cataract Surgeon, Medical Retina, Botox, Paediatrics & Strabismus, & Glaucoma
Dr Shanel Sharma has special interests in cataract surgery, Medical Retina, Paediatrics, Strabismus and Botox for clinical therapy.
Dr Sharma trained in ophthalmology at Prince of Wales Hospital before becoming the Professorial Senior Registrar at Sydney Eye Hospital. Dr Sharma has undertaken Postgraduate fellowships in Strabismus at the Western Eye Hospital in London, as well as a Paediatric and Strabismus Fellowship at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, the largest specialist Eye hospital in Europe. Dr Sharma also undertook medical retina clinics including performing intravitreal injections at Moorfields Eye Hospital. Dr Sharma has been a consultant at Sydney Eye Hospital and at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
Dr Sharma is trained and accredited to treat patients with Botulinum Toxin for ophthalmic conditions such as squints, hemifacial spasm, and blepharospasm, and also has experience treating patients for hyperhidrosis. Dr Sharma is also accredited as a Designated Aviation Ophthalmologist.
Dr Sharma has published over 20 scientific papers in peer-reviewed medical journals. She has been a Conjoint Lecturer at the University of New South Wales since 2003, and was appointed as a Conjoint Lecturer at the University of Sydney in 2006. Shanel is a Conjoint Senior Lecturer at the University of Wollongong.
Dr Sharma is currently serving as part of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists Examining Committee for the Part 1 College Exams.
She has presented at numerous scientific meetings in Australia and abroad, below are Shanel’s publications.
1. Sharma S, Maino APF, Husain SM, Adams GGW. A newborn with unilateral limb enlargement. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2012;171(3) 601.
2. Sharma S, Adams GGW. Childhood and Adult Strabismus. Australian Doctor 2011, Nov. pages 29-36.
3. Sharma S, Laferty C, Adams GAW. Congenital cataracts presenting as a childhood squint. Br Ir Orthopt J. 2013; 10:66-67.
4. Hancox J, Sharma S, McKenzie K, Adams GAW. The Effect on quality of life of long-term botulinum A toxin to maintain ocular alignment in adult patients with strabismus. British J Ophthal. 2012; 96(6) 838-40.
5. Sharan S, Sharma S, Billson FA. Congenital rubella cataract: a timely reminder in the new millennium? Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. 2006; 34(1):83-4.
6. Sharma DP, Sharma S, Wilkins MR. Microbial Keratitis after corneal laser refractive surgery. Future microbiology. 2011; 6(7):819-831.
7. Ooi JL. Sharma NS. Sharma DP, Sharma S. Oakey M. Dawes P. Coroneo MT. Ultraviolet fluorescence photography to detect early sun damage in the eyes of school-aged children. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 141(2):294-8, 2006.
8. Sharma S, Wilcsek GA, Francis IC, Lee D, Coroneo MT, Harrison H, Wolf G, Stammberger H. Management of Acute Surgical Orbital Haemorrhage: An Otorhinolaryngological and Ophthalmological Perspective. J Laryngol Otol. 2000; 114:621-5.
9. Pandya V, Martins A, Sharma S. Devastating outcome after only six hours of contact lens wear. Med J Aust.2008;189(7):410.
10. Sharma S, Granot R, Thomas N, Wilcsek GA, White C, Fitzsimmons R, Tidmarsh J, Tuch BE.Visual Disturbance and Weight Gain. Postgrad Med J. 2001;77: 732-3, 736.
11. Sharma S, Sumich PM, Francis IC, Kiernan MC, Spira PJ. Wernicke’s Encephalopathy presenting with upbeating Nystagmus. Clin Neurosci. 2002; 9: 476-8.
12. Sharma S, Kim P, Francis IC, Coroneo MT. Use of a Surgical Ruler Intraoperatively to Stabilise the Everted Upper Lid. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 106:1426-7.
13. Papalkar D. Sharma S. Francis IC. Downie JA. Red eye and a rodent ulcer. Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 22(2):131-2, 2006.
14. Verhoeven J, Sharma S, Francis IC, Wilcsek GA, Coroneo MT, Ng DT, Chang L.Cloth Drape Fixation Using Transparent Adhesive Dressing for Facial Plastic Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104:882-3.
15. Papalkar DP, Sharma S, Francis IC, Downie JA, Thanakrishnan GQ, Hughes LJS A Rapidly Fatal case of T-Cell Lymphoma presenting as idiopathic orbital inflammation. Orbit. 2005; 24(2):131-3.
16. Ooi JL, Sharma NS, Sharma S, Sharma DP, Oakey M, Dawes P, Coronea MT. Ultraviolet fluorescence photography: patterns in established pterygia. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007 Jan;143(1):97-101.
17. Francis IC, Wilcsek GA, Sharma S, Coroneo MT.Transcaruncular Medial Orbitotomy for stabilisation of the Posterior Limb of the Medial Canthal Tendon: Study of Eleven Cases. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2001; 29:85-9.
18. Micheli T, Cheung LM, Sharma S, Assad NN, Guzowski M, Francis IC, Coroneo MT. Acute Haptic-Induced pigmentary Glaucoma in an AcrySof SA60AT Lens: A Case for not Implanting in the Sulcus. Cataract & Refract Surg. 2002; 28: 1869 – 72.
19. Francis IC, Sharma DP, Sharma S, Wilcsek GA.Tarsal strip procedure for the correction of tearing. Ophthal Plast Reconstruct Surg. 2004; 20:407.
20. Sharma NS, Ooi J, Sharma DP, Sharma S, Francis IC, Fung V. Pharmacological mydriasis secondary to ipratropium bromide: A cause of unilateral, dilated pupil. J Clin Neurosci. 2008 Mar;15(3):320-1.
21. Sharma N, Ooi J, Sharma DP, Sharma S, Kim P, Francis IC Sudden visual loss after uneventful cataract surgery: Snuff Syndrome.. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004; 30:2435-7.
22. Wilcsek GA, Vose MJ, Francis IC, Sharma S, Coroneo MT. Acute angle closure glaucoma following the use of intranasal cocaine during Dacryocystorhinostomy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002; 86:1312.
23. Sharma DP, Sharma NS, Ooi J, Sharma S, Francis IC. Pupil blown by a puffer. The Lancet. 2004; 364, 415.
24. Wilcsek GA, Francis IC, Egan CA, Kneale KL, Sharma S, Kappagoda MB Superior Oblique Palsy in a patient with a Previous History of Perineural Spread from a Periorbital Squamous Cell Carcinoma : A Case Report.. J Neuroophthal. 2000; 20(4):240-1.
25. Sharma DP, Francis IC, Stoodley M, Kaines A, Sharma S, Kalapesi FB, Wilcsek GA. Cavernous haemangioma in the orbital apex: stereotactic-guided transcranial cryoextraction. Clin exper ophthalmol. 2005; 33(4):421-3.
1. Wilcsek GA, Kazim M, Francis IC, Sharma S, Holck DEE. Acute orbital Haemorrhage: A Complication of Orbital Trauma and Surgery. In Evaluation and Treatment of Orbital Fractures: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Editor D.E.E Holck. W.B. Saunders. 2006.